Sunday, February 21, 2016

Further Pondering Tsolyáni Monasteries

So I have been giving a bit more thought to a short monograph on Tsolyáni monasteries. Like I posted earlier, I would dump much of what I wrote in the 90s, and focus instead on how Tsolyáni monasteries actually operate vis-a-vis the Temples: a change I think would also make the monograph more useful for people who are "gaming" Tékumel.

There isn't that much information on Tsolyáni monasteries at all, and I think I have most of the reference materials I would need: Mitlanyál, Man of Gold, Sourcebook, etc. along with most or all of the piecemeal references to monasteries made over the years, including the Professor's one-paragraph description of monasteries in general from the Blue Room archives.

There is one thing I am missing. Apparently, one of the old Adventures on Tekumel books (Beneath the Lands of Tsolyánu?) includes an adventure set in a monastery. Since I don't have this, I am wondering how useful it might be. Is it a monastery we already know a fair bit about? Is there much description applicable to monasteries in general? If anyone out there already has a copy, I would love to hear your thoughts on how important a source it might be.

On another note, there are very few monasteries out there for which we have Tsolyáni names, but two that we do (the Ksárul "Kauingákte Monastery" and the Thúmis "Hauninngákte Monastery") both have the suffix (or stem element) "-ngákte" in their names. Anybody know what this might mean? I can't find -ngákte in the Tsolyáni language book at all.....

6 comments:

  1. I think the latter Thumis monastery is the one in the solo book. Sacked/raided by the Yan Koryani. It was hidden by a spell of some sort but the YKs found it anyway. Seemed pretty dirty and poor from what I recall, so perhaps they didn't find the whole thing? A spell within a spell. I will try looking it over again. And you know about the karge Thumis compound where the monasteries of the Grey Cloak and Sapient Eye are found. Supposed to be about 5km on each side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give the module a look this week, too, and let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give the module a look this week, too, and let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looked at the book. It is a generic monastery of whatever sect the player belongs to. The solo books are really good and highly recommended. And still fairly easy to find on ebay for under $20. The last one even have the Mu'ug navy in it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the input. I would like to review anything that might reflect the Professor's original intent re monasteries, even if I will surely depart from that. It sounds like a book I should have a look at. And red-hat navy too? Even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send me an email, please, at: green27 AT sympatico DOT ca

    ReplyDelete